1. Mashour G, Shanks A, Kheterpal S. Perioperative stroke and associated mortality after noncardiac, nonneurologic surgery. Anesthesiology. 2011;114:1289-1296.
2. Salazar JD, Wityk RJ, Grega MA, et al. Stroke after cardiac surgery: short- and long-term outcomes. Ann Thorac Surg. 2001;72:1195-1201.
3. Douiri A, Rudd AG, Wolfe CD. Prevalence of poststroke cognitive impairment: South London Stroke Register 1995-2010. Stroke. 2013;44:138-145.
4. Kam P, Calcroft R. Peri-operative stroke in general surgical patients. Anaesthesia. 1997; 52:879-883.
5. Bateman BT, Schumacher HC, Wang S, et al. Perioperative acute ischemic stroke in noncardiac and nonvascular surgery: incidence, risk factors, and outcomes. Anesthesiology. 2009;110:231-238.
6. Sharifpour M, Moore LE, Shanks AM, et al. Incidence, predictors, and outcomes of perioperative stroke in noncarotid major vascular surgery. Anesth Analg. 2013;116:424-434.
7. Sanders R, Bottle A, Jameson S, et al. Independent preoperative predictors of outcomes in orthopedic and vascular surgery: the influence of time interval between an acute coronary syndrome or stroke and the operation. Ann Surg. 2012;255:901-907.
8. Jorgensen MB, Torp-Pederson C, Gislason G, et al. Time elapsed after ischemic stroke and risk of adverse cardiovascular events and mortality following elective noncardiac surgery. JAMA. 2014;312:269-277.
9. Mashour GA, Moore LE, Lele AV, et al. Perioperative care of patients at high risk for stroke during or after noncardiac, nonneurologic surgery: consensus statement from the society for neuroscience in anesthesiology and critical care. J Neurosurg Anes. 2014;26:273-285.
10. Bucerius J, Gummert J, Borger M, et al. Stroke after cardiac surgery: a risk factor analysis of 16,184 consecutive adult patients. Ann Thorac Surg. 2003;75:472-478.
11. Abbott AL, Paraskevas KI, Kakkos SK, et al. Systematic review of guidelines for the management of asymptomatic and symptomatic carotid stenosis. Stroke. 2015;46:3288-3301.
12. Abbott AL, Adelman MA, Alexandrov AV, et al. Why calls for more routine carotid stenting are currently inappropriate: an international, multispecialty, expert review and position statement. Stroke. 2013;44:1186-1190.
13. Scott RM, Smith ER. Moyamoya disease and moyamoya syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:1226-1237.
14. Kronenburg A, Braun KP, van der Zwan A, et al. Recent advances in moyamoya disease: Pathophysiology and treatment. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2014;14:423.
15. Pandey P, Steinberg GK. Neurosurgical advances in the treatment of moyamoya disease. Stroke. 2011;42:3304-3310.
16. Kernan WN, Ovbiagele B, Black HR, et al. Guidelines for the prevention of stroke in patients with stroke and transient ischemic attack: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke. 2014;45:2160-2236.
17. Cao L, Young N, Liu H, et al. Preoperative aspirin use and outcomes in cardiac surgery patients. Ann Surg. 2012;255:399-404.
18. Cao L, Silvestry S, Zhao N, et al. Effects of preoperative aspirin on cardiocerebral and renal complications in non-emergent cardiac surgery patients: A sub-group and cohort study. PLoS One. 2012;7:e30094.
19. Devereaux PJ, Mrkobrada M, Sessler DI, et al. Aspirin in patients undergoing noncardiac surgery. N Engl J Med. 2014;370:1494-1503.
20. Raval A, Cigarroa J, Chung M, et al. Management of patients on non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants in the acute care and periprocedural setting: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2017;135(10):e604-e633.